A controversy arose before the current courthouse was constructed. The citizens at the time did not want to be taxed for yet another courthouse, which would be the third in Hamilton within 20 years. However, the sandstone building was finished and opened in 1901.
It is shown in this photograph of unknown origin or date. Remodeling of the courthouse began in 1958 and was completed in 1959 as it stands today. Perhaps the most interesting drawback, other than the exterior material, was the removal of the clock and tower, which can be seen here as well. The first courthouse in Hamilton burned March 30, 1887, which destroyed most of the early county history, as far back as 1818.
Keep looking in future editions of the Journal Record, as we are working on an extensive article on the history of the courthouse.
See complete story in the Journal Record.