This row of buildings today in Hamilton are on First Avenue Southwest on courthouse square. Today, they are the Town Square Jewelers, office buildings and also the House of Plenty.
In the late 1940s when this photo was taken, the buildings included City Market, Fred King’s store (displaying a Peters Shoes sign over the main entrance) and the farm bureau (displaying a Wayne Feeds sign over their entrance).
The City Market was run by John Loden beginning in Aug. 1937. One year later, Loden sold the business to Chester D. Lindsey in Aug. 1938, who continued to run it for many years. The business moved to the place shown in the photo on Jan. 1, 1941. A cafe was run in the business for years also.
The Fred King and Company store opened in late Feb. 1940, operating under the owner’s son, Herschel King.
The Marion County Extension office, known locally as the farm bureau, moved from this location in June 1950, to above Loden’s Furniture store.
The wooden building on the far right was Fite’s lawyer office.
The water tower is no longer in the area.
See complete story in the Journal Record.