Panthers head to third round of playoffs

A host of Panthers descend on Valley Head players.

By Luke Brantley
Staff writer
HACKLEBURG — The Hackleburg Panthers will be advancing to the third round of the state playoffs after a 33-18 victory over the visiting Valley Head Tigers on Friday, Nov. 17.
The game remained close until the fourth quarter, but the scoring began with a touchdown run by the Tigers.
The Panthers broke up the two-point attempt, but were still trailing 6-0.
The Panthers returned to their own 36 yard line, and Davin Dulaney took the Panthers from there to the 50.
Seth Ables caught a pass to get the first down, and Reeder followed it up with a contested pass that put the Panthers real close to the goal line.
On first and goal from the one, Blaise Vickery ran it in to put the Panthers on the scoreboard and tie the game 6-6 after the PAT was blocked.
The Panthers held the line and forced the Tigers to punt on fourth down.
The first quarter came to an end with the Panthers first and 10 on their own 33, but that possession would end in a punt that rolled back to the Tigers’ 10-yard line.
Starting at first and 10 on the Tigers’ 41-yard line, Dulaney gained a few yards on a short run. On second and eight, Vickery broke through to the Tigers’ 18-yard line.
From there, Vickery passed to Cameron Ingram, who caught the pass and juked a few defenders to score a touchdown.
A pass to Reeder for two more points fell incomplete to put the Panthers ahead 12-6.
But on the kickoff, Valley Head’s Nathaniel Baine returned the kickoff all 84-yards back to the end zone and scored to tie the game 12-12 after the two-point attempt failed.
Halftime came and went, and the Panthers kicked off to open the second half.
The Panthers held the Tigers until fourth down, forcing a punt.
Hackleburg started at their own 18, and gained a few yards on first down.
From the 20-yard line, Vickery completed a long pass to Reeder to take the Panthers up to the Tigers’ 44.

See complete story in the Journal Record.
Subscribe now!